SKETCHING RANDOMNESS


I often refuge in the primitive act of drawing. Triangulating sight, hand and hart on a piece of paper is quite relaxing and at times exhilarating perhaps because I am imagining spaces, people and all sort of patterns and scenarios. I think I will always find pleasure in exploring the possibilities of drawing on the 'tabula rasa' (blank paper) including sketch books, paper mats, back of coasters, 'servilletas' or any other receptive surface to ink like soft skin.

I tend to stick my sketches on walls and ceilings to create some sort of 'homeness' and 'territoriality' some times in minimum living spaces. I love the idea of cave-painting... perhaps mine is a more ephemeral type of cave painting. I doubt that any of the very many "caves" I have inhabited over 4 continents in the last 15 years would still host my strokes today. Africa remains 'la última frontera'.

Sketching takes place in time and space and is a constant reminder of one's dreams and actions. As meaningless as they might seem or look like, they really are visual testimonials in some sort of 'figure-ground' code no to be taken at face-value.

You will notice plenty of faces and eyes. I got an obsession for the human eye - such fascinating, beautiful yet complex structure really intrigues me. I enjoy drawing the eye as the center of things and then surroundings. The sight of a female eye, the eye as a window to the soul, the enquiring eye, object and subject for introspection, mysterious asian looks, piercing spanish eyes or "I will kill you!" sort of 'mirada'.

This last addition to the series [30 April 2010] include sketches from my early 20s while doing architecture (90's Series) and travel drawings Asia and the South Pacific Series. The page displays a sample randomly taken.
Saludos,
Guillermo

COASTERS SERIES:

































SCRAP PAPER SERIES:














NOTEBOOK SERIES:


RING-BINDED SERIES:


PAPYRUS SERIES:



NAPKIN SERIES:

FRAMED SERIES:

















CEILING SERIES:







ASIA and SOUTH PACIFIC SERIES:






9o's SERIES:






SELF PORTRAIT SERIES:


Copyright © Guillermo Aranda-Mena 2010