To Leon Battista Alberti

October’s Blogpost is dedicated to the great Leon Battista Alberti (1404-1472). Here a random selection of buildings and environments I have encountered in recent years... I wonder what would you have thought of them? All I can say is that I have enjoyed many of his buildings, drawings and thoughts - 500 years later that is to say.

Guillermo Aranda-Mena

Leon Battista Alberti was an Italian humanist author, artist, architect, poet, priest, linguist, philosopher and cryptographer; he epitomised the Renaissance Man.
Born: 14 February 1404, Genoa, Italy
Died: 25 April 1472, Rome, Italy
Built work: Santa Maria Novella, Palazzo Rucellai, Basilica di Santa Andrea in Mantova, Tempio di San Sebastiano in Mantova just to mention a few. 
Known for: Architecture, Linguistics, Poetry

Zacatecas, México
"A man can do all things if he but wills them."
Manchester, England
"When I investigate and when I discover that the forces of the heavens and the planets are within ourselves, then truly I seem to be living among the gods."
Matera, Italy 
"Beauty: the adjustment of all parts proportionately so that one cannot add or subtract or change without impairing the harmony of the whole."
Brutalist Organic
Beach Road, Singapore
"We must always take from nature what we paint and always choose the most beautiful things."


Guillermo Aranda-Mena©2020




-->