La Città Ideale 2033, Drawing Visions of Future Cities


Link into exhibition blog with detailed descriptions:
https://citta2033.blogspot.com/



LA CITTA IDEALE 2033: Drawing Visions of Future Cities Through Personal Constructs by Guillermo Aranda-Mena Ph.D.

The Exhibition

I am an artist, an academic and architecture is my muse, I must confess, this affair has been going on for 30 years or so. When drawing my ideal city, La mia Città Ideale, I am not testing reality but creatively visualising future scenarios in a very personal manner. Academically I place my work within the theory of Personal Constructs and I will explain more on that later. This exhibition emerged from a personal sense of purpose and desire to imagine urban futures, and to draw and reflect on the fabric of our cities and what makes them thrive, by analogy, a positive psychologist would identify what makes a person tick.

Cities are certainly the most complex and perplexing of all human inventions. As a species, we have engaged with the idea of cities for over 6,000 years since Mesopotamia and Egypt. The Assyrian and Babylonian empires firstly exercised the design of democratic cities dating back to Hippodamus who devised a regular grid or plan for the ancient city of Miletus built 7 C. B C, this is some 2,700 years before Melbourne’s Hoddle grid. The idea of modern cities, only go back 500 years when the Italian Renaissance came about, Piero della Francesa’s realistic frescoes for Urbino’s Palace marked a clear departure to accurate renders and depictions of design intent, applying the rules of perspective for architecture and urbanism of human scale.

Leonardo D’Vinci best embodies the spirit of renaissance, he was both, a scientist, and an artist. His work with cities spanned from military architecture to civil engineering including a system of canals and waterways for Milano. Today it is possible to see Naviglio Grande and Darsena, a thriving area of of the city and legacy of D’Vinci. Other great renaissance architects such as Filippo Brunelleschi, Leon Battista Alberti, and Andrea Palladio much influenced generation after generation of architects and city designers up to our days all of which placed the human at the centre of cities, thus humanism. D’Vinci went further into placing the human at the centre of the universe, and with that he devised the Modulor, where every taken measurement was in relation to the human body, anthropomorphism the result. Some renaisanse theories and lessons are still in use today. Luckily, we are also more aware of the impact of our cities to the natural environment, to our health, wellbeing and even to our emotional and mental state. Urban design has certainly moved beyond mere ergonomics.

La Città Ideale, The Ideal City, such an elusive ambition, why wasting time thinking of it? Still, there are certain attributes that define what an ideal city could be. The liveability survey annually conducted by the Economist Intelligence Unit is one example of various emerging liveability indices we use to benchmark cities around the world. We Melbournians, should know this by hart, as our city seems to appear and reappear on the liveability podium year after year, at times receiving all accolades (Economist most liveable city for 6 years in a row, 2011-2017). Other cities on the glorious podium include Vienna, Sydney, Vancouver, Oslo, and Stockholm. Unfortunately, there are flaws in the various benchmarks as the geographic scope does not include the wider metropolitan areas and only focus on inner-city suburbs. Thus, not representative of the true pulse of the city with its larger metropolitan realm in which questions of affordability, mobility, safety, amenity, and opportunity may be far from optimal and the question or liveability truly challenged, but let’s look at the bright side, things could be way worst.

“Which of all is your favourite city?” is often the question I get from friends, colleagues, and newly introduced strangers, and even by myself. Cities are complex systems and are better defined by an array of attributes rather than a single sentence, statement, or definition. Each city I have lived in, from my native Mexico City to San Luis Potosi and Guadalajara during my upbringing in Mexico, to Porto, Seville, Madrid and Barcelona in Iberia as university student and young architecture graduate. To Milano and Mantua in Italy in the last 12 or so years on intermittent experiences as a Visiting Professor at Politecnico di Milano and the UNESCO Chair in Mantova. My teaching Singapore and Hong Kong, also as intermittent experiences for over close to two decades. Each city has something amazing to offer, I have enjoyed all of them “as the most liveable city” for various reasons. In some cases, the charming architecture and rich history such as in Manova. In other cases the culinary experience of Guadalajara and Singapore, each a unique gastropolis for unique food and culinary experience. Even the smaller towns, which I also experienced during my postgraduate studies such Esbjerg in Denmark, Loughborough or Reading in the UK, all of which offered great local and authentic (non-touristy) village-like feel. By combining all attributes and lived experiences to the more rational metrics of infrastructure, amenity, safety, services or employment, I can then draw my own conclusions, and build my own worlds, my own cities. La mia Città Ideale. Which is yours?

An art exhibition like this one, equips us with open scenarios as possibilities to explore and find that special place or city for everyone who attempts to see it. My Città Ideale 2033 has no hidden agenda to begin a subversive movement other than to remind our social consciousness in the ways we go about our lives. Yes, the environment might also shape us but at the end we, humans, have the ability the future we want and despite the poor depiction of our planet we have many reasons to celebrate many achievements we have created. For the time being walk with me and enjoy this future city tour, of La mia Città Ideale 2033.

Overall vision

This exhibition is about cities and thus it should resonate with Melbournians and Australians after all, we are an urban nation. In 2022 84.5% of Australia’s population was reported to live in cities, 2/3 in our 8 capital cities. My vision for future cities is based on my lived experiences around the globe since my early international sojourns in the USA and Canada as a teenager, in Europe and the UK throughout my 20s and in Australasia and the world for over 20 years. Thus, my paintings are informed by my mind, my definitions or ‘constructs’ which you can also read as perceptions from lived experiences, acquired knowledge, and imagination.

I place my ideal city in the proximity of one decade, the year 2033 is within reach. Not so distant into the future and not too entrenched into our present giving a comfortable foresight.  I am not a prophet nor a futurologist, I like to place myself as a well-read individual with interest and curiosity about the ways we design and build our environments, from cities to and engaging individual who has valued community engagement and participation in every step of my professional life as an artist, designer and academic.

Utopia is a fallacy, an oxymoron, a mirage, it is said that utopia is a deliberate pun, spelled one way it means ‘good place’, and spelled another, it means ‘no place’, perhaps more in tune with Utopia, Australia. In times where the human is displaced from his or her habitat, call it floodings, fires, pandemics, fame, war, it is perhaps time to bring the bright side back into the picture, the human living in harmony with its natural ecosystem in symbiosis. More than 50% of the global population now live in urban areas. Cities, the most complex of all human creations and our best alternative to improve the human condition, I have experienced thriving cities in my lifetime, and that is the closest to utopia, La Citta Ideale.

Revisiting classical visions for ideal cities such as Plato’s The Republic (375 B.C.) concerning justice, the order and character of the just city-state, and the just man. It is a Socratic Dialogue in which he considers the nature of existing regimens and then proposes hypothetical cities or scenarios culminating in Kallipolis, a utopian city-state ruled by a class of philosopher-kings. Plato’s Republic also discusses ageing, love, theory of forms, the immortality of the soul, and the role of philosophy and poetry in society. ‘Ideal cities’ can be seen today in locations such as Sabbioneta in Lombardia, an example of renaissance theories well worth looking at, built from scratch in the 17th C. by Vespasiano I. Gonzaga near Mantua. Bothe of which in became UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 2008 and in which I been teaching architecture for over a decade.

In the Americas, pre-Columbian civilizations are known to all of us, such as the Aztecs and Mayas in what is now Mexico along with many other cultures and cities in a region known as meso-America (mid-Mexico and Central America). In Asia, the Zhou dynasty built the great cities of Classical China and the Maurya and Gupta empires left the legacy of cities of the Golden Age of India. Through human history cities have flourished and decayed and in cases erased and empires fully disappeared. Today we can see much Le Corbusier’s inter-war models for city planning and reconstruction, only a few built but his theories proved highly influential in Europe and around the world, sometimes for better and others for the worst. At the end city design is a product of political decisions and social rather than a mandate for a drafting board, at least that is the spirit at least according to American Canadian writer and urban activist Jane Jacobs who advocated for the protection of neighbourhoods and community nurturing over social and economic infrastructure development.

 

The Artist

I love cities, after all I was born in the largest metropolis on earth, Mexico City. I have since lived in many beautiful cities both, within Mexico and around the globe. This year I celebrate two decades since I call Melbourne home and still, I consider myself a nomad, a sort of traveller.

I am an artist and architecture is my muse, it has always been, since I have recollection of memory. As a child I loved building paper maquettes of little castles when visiting my grandmother San Luis Potosi, Mexico, she would provide me with paper, glue, colour pencils, sticky tape and scissors at the age of 5. I must have been 5 or 6 years old; my parents were busy working and building their dream home, I have since lived in over a dozen cities. My worldview depicts my vision of cities, La Città Ideale is a generic reflection of my mind and life experiences, I have been a true global citizen, as I teenager I spent summers in the US and Canada as a university student I completed my architecture studies in Seville, Spain and lived in Madrid and Barcelona. Since graduation I have worked and further studied in Portugal, Denmark, and the UK.

I grew up in Mexico in two Spanish colonial cities: San Luis Potosi, and Guadalajara; and completed my architecture studies in Seville, Spain. I also lived in Barcelona, Madrid, and Porto as a young architect. While doing my Ph.D. investigation at The University of Reading, I much enjoyed its proximity to London, the 27-minute train ride into London Paddington came quite handy to enjoy the city. The City of Bath, Oxford and Cardiff were other cities I often frequented while my 7 years in the UK. Paris and Brussels were at reach via the Eurotunnel student prices. In more recent years I have resided in Delft, Zurich, Mantua and Milano. I go to teach to Singapore and Hong Kong and have been doing so for over 10 years in HK and nearly 20 in Singapore.

My Città Ideale can be better depicted in terms of values, e.g. what we is worth in our society, from safety, to affordability, amenity, opportunity (employment), mobility (transport), health, nature and wellbeing to more ethereal values such as beauty, charm, heritage or awe. If these values are socially shared, then we can build our ideal cities, our Città Ideale. Others have tried to build Utopia before, and we got some things right, not all, Tower of Babel was a failure of epic proportions, the fundamental problem is still the same, lack of empathy in our human existence, the Babel calamity could be simply avoided but a return to what it is to be human and better understanding of the places where we do things, or cities and environment.

 Be a flâneur* in my Città Ideale. Welcome.  

Artistic Process, Influences and Philosophical Context:

Contrary to the common perception that artistic work is conducted in solitude and self-imposed isolation, predominantly individualistic, I found the process of preparing for this exhibition highly engaging, the themes here presented are issues of concern to all and much discussed the various topics with friends, colleagues, and acquaintances, from my Italian colleagues at the UNESCO Chair to my local St Kilda barista Bruce. On the other hand, the art curatorial process has taken me onto another level of artistic proficiency through regular crits and reviews, a special thanks to Tracey McIrvine, Visual Arts Manager at Gasworks Arts Park, one of our final crits commented on my work as ‘expansive and yet, retains identity’; ‘it reconfigures space’; ‘it is androgenous aesthetically’, ‘it is truthful, honest, I love the work’, I then felt ready to exhibit, to go out there!

My art studio is mobile, I have prepared for this exhibition while travelling to various distant locations, last year and earlier this one, 100% cotton paper (300 gsm), brushes and watercolours were my travel companions to Sweden, Italy, Hong Kong and Singapore. Trips to Mexico and California were also shared with family and friends. Overall, watercolours travel well, odourless, and easy to clean if an accident happens. It is not rare to see me unpacking my mobile studio while cruising at 38,000 ft high, at my local St Kilda café or anywhere in between. For the larger format works I worked as an artist-in-residence in the above-mentioned locations.

For this exhibition I wanted to engage with primitive modes of production, those that go back millennia such as cotton paper and watercolours. For instrumentation, I use brushes, fountain pens, and dip pens made of bamboo some of which are carved by me. Up to recently, artists used to be skilful alchemists, they created their own paper, pigments, instruments, and potions. There is a sense of liberation when there is no need less or not reliant on products made by others, but to be able to paint with clay or even coffee grounds if needed to. There a sense of liberation with being self-sufficient, when the artistic process allows me to connect with a basic primitive side of doing things, a technique conversant with the Altamira caves of the Palaeolithic painted some 37,000 years ago.

Academically I place the work prepared for this exhibition within Personal Construct Theory (PCT), a branch of psychology devised by George Kelly (1955) based on phenomenology and European Logical Positivism. One contribution of my Ph.D. was to bring PCT into architecture and design management. Construct theory presents a framework to explore the human mind, thought and perceptions based on personals experiences, definitions, or schemas which individuals continuously form throughout life, it places every human being as a scientist, and we live our lives validating our theories or world views. It is an important model to complement the prevailing positivist objectivism. Thus, the individual or personal constructs becomes the mental or cognitive scaffolding by which we form our worldviews and build the reality we live in, our cities.

While preparing for this exhibition I got to think on aspects of originality and thus my Città Ideale is a new take to an old tale, it certainly goes along with the spirit of Mark Twain “there is no such thing as a new idea. It is impossible, we simply take a lot of old ideas and put them into a sort of mental kaleidoscope. We give them a turn and they make new and curious combinations indefinitely; but they are the same old pieces of coloured glass that have been in use through all the ages”.

Expectations from the audience

In this exhibition you can expect to engage with urban issues faced by cities around the globe. Still much is reflected upon Melbourne. What are those liveability attributes that will ensure we recover and retain our title of the most liveable city by the Economist Intelligence Unit.

Although architecturally driven, this exhibition is not about an aesthetic imperative and transcends any ‘isms’ such as modernism, post-modernism, deconstructivism, parametricisms or meta-modernism to mention a few of the adjectives where architecture is often pigeonholed or succumbed to. I have instead developed an interest in drawing from firsthand experience or phenomenology, and adopt attributes often found in our everyday environment such love for nature (biophilia), health and wellbeing, liveability. Here I have exercised my mind, hand and imagination to depict possible realities, I would say, a diaphanous visionary statement and thus I invite you to look at my work, imagine and complete your visionary cities or environments. Walk with me and find your own city. There is no compass, tour guide nor GPS, navigate at your own using your own (mental) kaleidoscope in search of your Kallipolis, your Città Ideale.

With this exhibition I am aiming to create a hive of ideas, activated through my work, materialised through visitors of this exhibition. La Città Ideale is not yet another prophetic attempt to reinvent the world in which we live but a democratic space to engage in observation, dialogue and reflection. The value of my artwork lays on the fact that is sits on the borderline of resolution and ambiguity. This tension is my most powerful statement.

Is Utopia a mere mirage or does it actually feasible? There is a human settlement in the Northern Territory officially named Utopia (Urapuntja in Alywarre) so after all, it does exist, at least in Australia. The Italian renaissance of the 1500’s much engaged with Plato’s idea of utopia or ideal city, Kallipolis, not only from a governance standpoint but with the physicality of it, cities as democratic organisations, safe and healthy spaces where to live, where the human condition could thrive. Our future cities are about giving back to nature, they are about our health and wellbeing, and they must be inclusive. D’Vinci’s Modulor has now morphed into an emotional being of all shapes, ages, and belief systems and that is a good thing.

My intention has not been to indulge into self-referential grandiosity of a visionary truth but to present the visitor with an opportunity to engage with the work, discuss with friends and the wider community our past, present, and future cities. For this, I present you with 20 depictions of urban futures, or scenarios in various formats, each interesting and entertaining. Let’s transcend the status quo and engage as experts, after all, the experts often get it wrong. My exhibition presents an opportunity to create a hive of minds, tell me, what is your storey? Therefore, here I present you with trustworthy propositions from both, my life experience and expert knowledge, but contrarily to a common perception, city design emerges from engaged communities, not disfranchised experts, “just see around us, St Kilda, Elwood, Albert Park and Port Melbourne are notoriously known for our strong voice and community participation”.

I must confess, my love affair with Melbourne has been going on for close to 20 years. Two decades since I moved to ‘the big smog’ has moulded me into the person I am today. At the same time, I continue travelling and spending temporary residencies in other cities such as Milan, Mantova, Malmo, Singapore, Hong Kong and Guadalajara, my city in Mexico so you may find loose architectural references to some of those places. This exhibition is not about any specific place but I can run away from the places I live in and must enjoy, an as such they provide with a reliable reference to draw as I create my reality (my construct system) of what is that ideal city in a not so distant in a not-so-distant future. Welcome to La Città Ideale 2033.

* flâneur: French, a person who lounges or strolls around in a seemingly aimless way; an idler or loafer.